Dal Dosa – Adai – is traditional south Indian dish usually prepared for the breakfast or dinner. It’s very healthy dish rich in protein, prepared using mixed lentils. It is very easy to prepare, no need for the fermentation, it is an instant dosa. This batter is slightly coarser from normal dosa batter. You can prepare either thick or thin crispy dosa according to your taste.
This is spicy dosa, so well goes with any sour or coconut related dishes like coconut chutney, avial, tomato chutney, onion chutney and lime pickle. Variations can be made by adding grated carrot, grated coconut, grated ginger, shallots, grated radish and drumstick leaves, spring onions depending on individual preference. You can try egg dosa and masala dosa too. It’s very delicious and yummy dish.
Recipe Cuisine: Indian; Preparation Time: 25 mins; Cooking Time: 20 mins; Serves: 15
Raw rice -1 cup
Toor dal – ½ cup
Moong dal – ½ cup
Chana dal – ½ cup
Urad dal – ½ cup
For the grinding
Red chillies – 4
Cumin seeds -½ tsp
Fennel seeds – ½ tsp
Ingredients added to the batter
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp.
Ginger grated – ¼ tsp (optional)
Onion-1 finely chopped (optional)
Asafoetida – 2pinch
Coriander leaves chopped
Salt to taste
Oil – (Ghee or Gingelly/Sesame oil is preferable)
- Wash the rice and dal mixture, and soak it For the 2 -3 hours.
- Grind it coarsely, not too smooth along with red chillies, cumin seeds, and fennel seeds.
- Sprinkle little water, so that the batter is neither thick nor watery.
- Add turmeric powder, asafoetida, salt, curry leaves, coriander leaves, onion and ginger (optional) to the batter and mix it well.
- Heat the pan and pour a ladle of batter and spread it like a normal dosa. Sprinkle few drops of oil.
- Once it’s cooked and golden brown in colour flip it over to the other side.
- Sprinkle few drops of oil to get a crispy dosa.
- Remove from the pan once it turns to golden brown and cooked well.
- Serve it hot with coconut chutney or tomato chutney.
Required techniques: Consistency is very important, add less water to get the right batter consistency.Don’t cook until it gets dry, make sure enough moisture is there.