Aloo gobi- is classic Punjabi vegetarian dish with the combination of aromatic spices.
Usually Punjabi dishes differs in spice contents ranges from low to high. In most Punjabi
foods onions, garlic and ginger takes extensive place to give rich taste. Aloo gobi lies in
the middle range. It is very quick to make and very delightful side dish recipe which goes
really well with chapatis/rice.
The potato is best known for its carbohydrate content.The predominant form of this
carbohydrate is starch.This resistant starch(RS) is considered to have similar
physiological effects and health benefits as fiber: It provides bulk, offers protection
against colon cancer, improves glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity, lowers plasma
cholesterol and triglyceride concentrations, increases satiety, and possibly even reduces
fat storage,can also help us stay lean and healthy.
Cauliflower contains health-benefiting antioxidants,vitamins and very low in fat and
contains no cholesterol.Fresh cauliflower is an excellent source of vitamin C and contains
dietary fiber;It contains good amounts of many vital B-complex groups of vitamins-
folates,B5,B6,B1,B3 and Vitamin K.it contains minerals such as manganese, copper, iron,
calcium and potassium.it helps fight against harmful free radicals, boosts immunity and
prevents from infections and cancers.Together these compounds have proven benefits against
prostate, breast, cervical, colon, ovarian cancers by virtue of their cancer-cell growth
inhibition, cytotoxic effects on cancer cells.
Aloo Gobi-potato and Cauliflower is one of the most famous dishes of Indian cuisine,It is
an extremely easy and tasty dish, which can be made within no time.It can be served in
various ways either dry or gravy according to individual taste.
Potatoes-2 medium Large
Salt to taste
For the Tempering / Tadka:
Cinnamon bark-3 pieces
For the Sauté:
Green chillies-2 medium
Garlic-6 cloves -1/2 tsp. paste
Ginger -2 inch cube-1/2 tsp. paste
Tomatoes- 2 medium (make it puree)
Turmeric – 1/2tsp
Garam masala-1/2 tsp
Fresh Coriander – 1/3 bunches
- Take cauliflower wash and cut into small florets, blanch them in hot water with turmeric and salt For the 2 min.
- Heat the saucepan with the oil; add bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon, and cardamom.
- Once it’s tempered, add chopped onions, green chillies.
- Add ginger garlic paste when onion turns golden brown. Sprinkle little water if the mixture sticks or dries until it softening to a mash
- Add tomato puree, turmeric powder, chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala, and salt.
- Peel the half boiled potatoes and cut into big cubes.
- Once the oil separates from the masala, add gobi and potato to the masala.
- Add water and cover it on and cook in the medium flame For the 20 mins.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves
- Serve it hot with rice or roti’s
Note: Cook in a medium flame throughout the process. Variations can be made by adding mushrooms, cauliflower, peas, prawn…depending on individual preferences. For the party and occasions to give richness to the dish you can add cashew paste at the end beFor thee garnishing. Vegetarians can try with Punjabi Aloo Gobi recipe.