Chow chow/chayote -250 grams
Moong dal-1 cup
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
For the Tempering/Tadka:
Urad dal-1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds-1/4 tsp
Red chillies -4
- Wash and clean the moong dal, add 1:2 ratio of water.
- Peel and cut the chayote into cubes and add it to dal.
- Add turmeric powder, cumin seeds, hing and 2 garlic cloves .
- Add shallots, green chillies and salt.
- Cook it in a pressure cooker for 3 to 5 whistles.
- Heat ghee in a pan, add mustard, cumin seeds, urad dal, red chillies and curry leaves.
- Once they spluttered, add cooked chayote, mix it well and cook it for 12 mins in a low flame.
- Add cooked rice and mix it well, sprinkle sesame oil.
- Add fresh coriander leaves and serve it hot.