Al Kabsa – Origin
Al Kabsa – Arabian Chicken Biryani Recipe is served mostly in Saudi Arabia,where it is commonly regarded as a national dish. Al Kabsa, though, is believed to be indigenous to Yemen and in places like Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Iraq and Kuwait this dish is very popular.
Al Kabsa – Spices Used
Al Kabsa – Arabian Chicken Biryani Recipe dishes are mainly made from a mixture of spices, basmati rice, meat and vegetables. There are many kinds of Al kabsa and each kind has a uniqueness about it. Garnish can be made with nuts,lemon,egg and cilantro.The spices used in Al kabsa are black pepper, cloves, cardamom, saffron, cinnamon, black lime, bay leaves and nutmeg.You can add chili powder, coriander powder and cumin powder to give richness to taste according to the individual preference.The main ingredient that accompanies the spices is the meat, such as chicken, goat, lamb, camel, or sometimes beef, fish, and shrimp.
In chicken machbus,usually a whole chicken is used. For Al Kabsa – Arabian chicken biryani recipe, I prefer big pieces of chicken rather than the whole chicken. The spices, rice and meat may be augmented with almonds, pine nuts, onions and sultanas. I have done with little variations according to my taste which is something like an arabian chicken biryani recipe.
Al Kabsa – Cooking Method
Al Kabsa – Arabian Chicken Biryani Recipe meat can be cooked in various ways. A popular way of preparing meat is called mandi. This is an ancient technique, whereby meat is barbecued in a deep hole in the ground that is covered while the meat cooks. Another way of preparing and serving meat for kabsa is mathbi, where seasoned meat is grilled on flat stones that are placed on top of burning embers. A third technique, madghut, involves cooking the meat in a Pressure cooker. I have followed the third method.
Al Kabsa – Arabian Chicken Biryani Recipe meat is cooked with all the spices in the pressure cooker and roasted in butter then served at the top of the rice.it is very very delicious yummy recipe,can be prepared for any special day or an occasion/party.Everyone at home will love it and enjoy!
Chicken -1 kg
Basmati Rice-1 Kg
Salt to taste Oil/Ghee
For the Tempering / Tadka:
Cinnamon bark-3 pieces
Garam masala:2 tbsp
Chilli Powder-1/2 tbsp
Cumin powder-1/2 tsp
For the Sauté:
Green chillies-2 medium
Garlic-6 cloves -1/2 tsp. paste
Ginger -2 inch cube-1/2 tsp. paste
Tomatoes- 2 medium (make it puree)
- Melt the butter in a pressure cooker over medium heat.
- Add chopped ginger, garlic and onion;
- Add whole cloves, nutmeg,cinnamon, cardamom and fry it.
- Cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces and brown them over medium-high heat until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add chilli powder, cumin, coriander, salt, black pepper, and Kabsa spice mix and cook for few mins.
- Add the tomato puree and stir it well.
- Cover it and pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles.
- Once its done, remove the chicken pieces.
- Add the rice to the mixture and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Melt butter in a pan and roast the cashews,almonds,pinenuts and sultans.
- Melt butter and roast the cooked chicken pieces.
- Transfer the rice to a large serving platter and arrange the chicken pieces on top.
- Sprinkle the toasted cashews,sultans over the dish.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves, roasted eggs and lemon.