Rava idli: – is a traditional south Indian dish usually prepared for the breakfast or dinner. It’s very healthy dish and very easy to prepare. Same process as idli –dosa batter, but instead of rice, we use sooji /semolina. You can prepare soft healthy idlis. This idli well goes with any sour or coconut related dishes like coconut chutney, tomato chutney, onion chutney and sambar.
Rava -3 cup
Urad dal – 1 cup
Rice flour-3 tablespoon
Salt – 1 tbsp
- Wash and soak both rava and dal For the 3 hrs separately.
- Grind dal and rava separately. Grind the rava coarsely and urad dal to a smooth batter.
- Sprinkle water now and then.The consistency of the batter should neither be thin.
Mix both the grounded rava and dal together. Add salt and leave it For the 7-8 hours For the fermentation.
- In winter it will take longer time, especially in Europe, US countries, you can use Oven to ferment
- Place the batter in a large container, as the batter will increase in its volume.
- After fermentation you can see the air pockets in the batter
- idli batter is ready. Mix it well.
- For the making idlis, grease the Idli plate with oil(optional) .
- Heat the Idli pan with water and allow the water to boil.
- Pour 3/4 the ladle of idli batter to the idli plates and steam it For the 10-12 minutes.
- To check its cooked,wet the For thek and insert it into a idli if it is not sticky and comes out easily idli is ready.
- just switch off the flame and take the idli plate out .
- Sprinkle water behind the idli plates and make it to cool.
- After a few seconds dip a spoon in water and carefully take out the idlis.
- Serve it hot with chutney or sambar.